Enjoy going through the collection of best quotes from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (1999).
The Phantom Menace is the first movie from the Star Wars Saga, otherwise known as Episode I.
If you’re in need of refreshing your memory before jumping in the quotes, here is a short summary of the plot.
The evil Trade Federation, led by Nute Gunray is planning to take over the peaceful world of Naboo. Jedi Knights Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi are sent to confront the leaders. But not everything goes to plan. The two Jedi escape, and along with their new Gungan friend, Jar Jar Binks head to Naboo to warn Queen Amidala, but droids have already started to capture Naboo and the Queen is not safe there. Eventually, they land on Tatooine, where they become friends with a young boy known as Anakin Skywalker. Qui-Gon is curious about the boy, and sees a bright future for him. The group must now find a way of getting to Coruscant and to finally solve this trade dispute, but there is someone else hiding in the shadows. (IMDb)
Top 20 Quotes from ‘Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace’ (1999)
Sorted chronologically as quotes appear in the movie.
- Qui-Gon Jinn: Don’t center on your anxieties, Obi-Wan. Keep your concentration here and now, where it belongs.
Obi-Wan Kenobi: But Master Yoda said I should be mindful of the future.
Qui-Gon Jinn: But not at the expense of the moment. Be mindful of the living Force, young Padawan.
Qui-Gon Jinn: You almost got us killed. Are you brainless?
Jar Jar Binks: I spake.
Qui-Gon Jinn: The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi: Why were you banished, Jar Jar?
Jar Jar Binks: It’s a longo tale-o, buta… a small part of it would be mesa… clumsy.
Obi-Wan Kenobi: You were banished for being clumsy?
Jar Jar Binks: Yousa might’n be sayin dat. Mesa caused mabee one two-y lettle bitty axadentes, huh? Yud-say boom da gasser… den crashin der boss’s heyblibber, den banished.
Anakin Skywalker: Are you an angel?
Padmé Amidala: What?
Anakin Skywalker: An angel. I heard the deep space pilots talk about them. They’re the most beautiful creatures in the universe. They live on the moons of Iego, I think.
- Padmé Amidala: You’re a slave?
Anakin Skywalker: I’m a person, and my name is Anakin.
Watto: Republic credits are no good out here. I need something more real.
Qui-Gon Jinn: I don’t have anything else, but credits will do fine.
Watto: No, they won’t.
Qui-Gon Jinn: Credits will do fine.
Watto: No, they won’t! What, you think you’re some kind of Jedi, waving your hand around like that? I’m a Toydarian. Mind tricks don’t work on me. Only money. No money, no parts, no deal.
- C-3PO (speaking with R2-D2): Hello. I don’t believe we have been introduced. R2-D2. A pleasure to meet you. I am C-3PO, human cyborg relations. I beg your pardon, but what do you mean, “naked”? My parts are showing? My goodness! (Artoo laughs)
- Anakin Skywalker: You’re a Jedi knight, aren’t you?
Qui-Gon Jinn: What makes you think that?
Anakin Skywalker: I saw your laser sword. Only Jedis carry that kind of weapon.
Qui-Gon Jinn: Perhaps I killed a Jedi and took it from him.
Anakin Skywalker: I don’t think so. No one can kill a Jedi.
Qui-Gon Jinn: I wish that were so.
- Anakin Skywalker: Mom, you say the biggest problem in this universe is nobody helps each other.
Padmé Amidala: I’m sure Qui-Gon doesn’t want to put your son in danger. We’ll find some other way.
Shmi Skywalker: No. There is no other way. I may not like it, but he can help you. He was meant to help you.
- Qui-Gon Jinn: The Force is unusually strong with him. That much is clear. Who was his father?
Shmi Skywalker: There was no father. I carried him, I gave birth, I raised him. I can’t explain what happened.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi: The reading is off the chart. Over 20,000. (Anakin’s blood analysis) Even Master Yoda doesn’t have a midi-chlorian count that high.
Qui-Gon Jinn: No Jedi has.
Obi-Wan Kenobi: What does that mean?
Qui-Gon Jinn: I’m not sure.
- Qui-Gon Jinn (to Anakin): Remember, concentrate on the moment. Feel, don’t think. Use your instincts. May the Force be with you.
- Shmi Skywalker (to Anakin): You have brought hope to those who have none. I’m so very proud of you.
Shmi Skywalker (to Anakin): Now, be brave… and don’t look back. Don’t look back.
- Qui-Gon Jinn: I have encountered a vergence in the Force.
Yoda: A vergence, you say.
Mace Windu: Located around a person?
Qui-Gon Jinn: A boy. His cells have the highest concentration of midi-chlorians I have seen in a life-form. It is possible he was conceived by the midi-chlorians.
Mace Windu: You refer to the prophecy of the one who will bring balance to the Force. You believe it’s this boy?
Qui-Gon Jinn: I don’t presume to…
Yoda: But you do. Revealed your opinion is.
- Yoda (to Anakin): Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you.
- Qui-Gon Jinn (to Anakin): I’m not allowed to train you, so I want you to watch me and be mindful. Always remember: Your focus determines your reality.
- Anakin Skywalker: What are midi-chlorians?
Qui-Gon Jinn: Midi-chlorians are a microscopic life-form that resides within all living cells.
Anakin Skywalker: They live inside me?
Qui-Gon Jinn: Inside your cells, yes. And we are symbionts with them.
Anakin Skywalker: Symbionts?
Qui-Gon Jinn: Life-forms living together for mutual advantage. Without the midi-chlorians, life could not exist… and we would have no knowledge of the Force. They continually speak to us… telling us the will of the Force. When you learn to quiet your mind, you’ll hear them speaking to you.
Anakin Skywalker: I don’t understand.
Qui-Gon Jinn: With time and training, Ani, you will. You will.
- Qui-Gon Jinn: Obi-Wan. Promise… Promise me… you will train the boy.
Obi-Wan Kenobi: Yes, Master.
Qui-Gon Jinn: He… is the chosen one. He… will bring balance. Train him.
Yoda (about Anakin): The chosen one the boy may be. Nevertheless… grave danger I fear in his training.